We’re sympathetic, but once you step on the field, football’s football – A quote by Michael Strahan.
I feel like this must be the quote that echoes in the minds of Wigan Athletic Club team.
Wigan Athletes are also running and sweating on a ground to shape up their fate and to add more pages in the history of Great Manchester. The stadium that is glorifying the England Magnificence is DW Stadium. Measurement of its pitch is 110 x 60 meters(120 yd × 66 yd). The stadium is named after its main sponsor, DW Sports Fitness. The stadium is designed and adorned by Alfred McAlpine.
At present, stadium has the capacity of 25,138(all seated). This celebrated stadium also has a nickname-Latics. The ground was constructed and opened in 1999. Since then, it is driving the future of many and giving notable fame to countless players.
Let’s have a look at some of the facts about this club: –
- Before the construction and opening of this stadium, Wigan Athletes were spilling the scent of their hard-work on Springfield Park.
- The stadium was built after 67 years of the establishment of Wigan Athlete Club.
- 1st friendly match took place on this field marked the inauguration of the stadium. It was a friendly match between Wigan Athletic and Manchester United.
- The real battle begins from here on – First competitive match was played on 7th August 1999, match between Wigan Athletic and Scunthorpe United. Team blew their trumpet in the first match itself with a 3-0 win.
- Club owner Dave Whelan had some clashes with Great Manchester Police. This resulted into police announcing the back out from policing the Wigan Athletic matched at the stadium from 2nd Initially, this shook the team and brought the safety concerns in between the team practices and matches. But later, team collected all the spilled beans and finally won the appeal that stated damages from the police.
- The stadium’s average attendance kept on increasing along with the popularity of the team and club. The stadium saw the record attendance of stadium on 11th May 2008 – a whopping attendance of 25,133, which means only 5 seats remained vacated that day. This was the title-deciding match of the2007–08 Premier League
- The areas around the stadium are mostly of urban type. It is situated in the north of Wigan’s Robin Park retail complex in the western suburban areas of Newtown.
- The stadium has hosted the World Club Challengefor four times, in 2000, between St Helens and the Melbourne Storm in 2011 when Wigan took on George IllawarraDragonsand in 2015 and 2016 when Wigan Warriors hosted the Brisbane Brochos.
- Rising success on the pitch has been met with increased attendances.
Afootball, battlefield, field or any other sport field can be used to run, but you can’t hide anywhere. You have to face the world once you steps into it!!!
Hey there! Football is one of the trending sports that has reached the heights of fame in a very small time period. There are a lot of associations present that are providing opportunities for football players out there as well as to provide a good quality entertainment to the football fans. Mostly, northern parts of America,