“Playing Football with your feet is one thing, but playing football with your heart is another…”
Wigan Athletic Football Club is a business like association football club. This organisation is based in Wigan, Greater Manchester, England. It was founded 84 years ago – in 1932.
‘Yesterday I dared to struggle. Today I dare to Win’. I guess this must be the jingle that the soul of Wigan club crooning each day.
Track record of their triumphs is amazingly extensive.
- This club was able to winits first credit in 1933-34 seasons. The team came out with a glistening win and emerged as the champions of the Cheshire League.
- In the same season, they conquered the second championship as well by defeating the Carlisle Unite with score board of 6-1 in the first round. This 6-1 holds the record for the largestwin by a non-league club against a league club. Thus made their smooth route to the FA Cup.
- Again wheel rotates in their favour. Their zeal and ebullience made this club the third successive winner of the the Lancashire Junior Cup and Cheshire League.
- The team not only showed their sportsmanship on the field but also outside also they were struggling hard to get elected into Football League. They made several ventures to get into this but disappointed on all their attempts until 1978. The count of failed election attempts reached to 34 by that time. But at last, they made their way in 1978.
- After 2nd world war, the team had to face many dismays. They had to wait till 196-65 season to pierce their long-awaited victory. They became winners of Cheshire League. This victory proved a noteworthy remark in the ride of this club, as it gave extensive publicity and fan following to the club’s top goalscorer – Harry Lyon. Lyon contributed to this victory by registering Thus got the caption of ‘WiganAthletic’s all-time leading goalscorer’.
- In the same season, Wigan’s Lion – Harry Lyon was stretchered off after his ankle ligaments got torn. But as Kings don’t give up that easily, so did he. This lion returned to the field with a roar but with a heavily strapped ankle too. Defeating the opposing team by 3-1, Lyon also went on to score a hat-trick.
- 1970-71 = Geoff Davies of this club emerges as the title-holder by scoring a total of 42 goals and seven hat-tricks. And thus ending up getting a grip on the league title.
- 1995 = A local millionaire – Dave Whelan acquires this club in Feb 1995. The following year Wigan Athletic became Division Three champions on the last day of the season, Graeme Jones scoring a club record 31 league goals in the process.
- 2002-2003 = The club won the Division Two championship in 2002–03 with a points total of 100 and ten consecutive wins along the way. The club lost only four times all season. Thus this club secured furtherance to the second tier of the English Football League.
- 2013 FA Cup Final = Wigan Athletic capitulate one of the biggest victory for their club here. It was a match between Wigan Athletics and Manchester City. First FA Cup final for the former team and 10th for the later one. But Wigan kicked off their opponent in this neck-to-neck match and blew everyone’s mind with a jerk! Also swiped off a large amount of £1.8 million as FA Cup winners.
There is a lot more that can be added to this list of achievements. But here giving rest to my words by capturing the great and unforgettable victories of this legend club. This astonishing club gives an impelling message that – “Winners aren’t the people who never fail, but people who never give up.”
Greater Manchester, England was really looking forward to construct a steadyclub of football in the same town, after 4 of their attempts already expired poorly.Wigan Borough, Wigan Town, Wigan United and Wigan Country are these four miscarriages. Then Wigan Athletic came into frame and came out as the watershed in the history of Greater Manchester.
- The first league game was played against Port Vale Reserves on 27th August, 1932. But the team saw the glimpse of their first victory in 1933-34 seasons. This made them the titleholder of Cheshire League
- The same season they played gloriously against Carlisle United, and won by 6-1 in the first round itself. With this, they swiped off the title of second league championship, plusqualified forthe FA cup to begin another chapter! Also this 6-1 score in the initial round is a recordlargestwin by a non-league club against a league club, in the cup.
- 1935-36 was again belonged to them and the title for third successiveCheshire League fell into their kitty. Also they gripped the Lancashire Junior Cup the same season as well.
- Few very low chapters also were written on the pages of this legend club. Phase started post World War II! The club ended up at the lastin the league in 1946-47.
- In 1953-54, though Wigan played a match in the FA Cup to face a record crowd – 27526, which was also an attainment in itself. But the team couldn’t get the winning notch in this.
- After a long silence, team roared their victory in 1964-65. They won their openingtitle of Cheshire League afterits return in the league. In this league, byregistering 66 goals, Harry Lyon actually clutched over the winning flag. He even clung over the title of club’s best goalscorer ever.
- 1966-67 can be counted as one of the awe-inspiring season for the club, as the team bagged 4 cup titles in it. Also they became the runners-up in the Cheshire County League in the same season
- Geoff Davies emerged as the new hero for Wigan, who scored 42 goals which also includes 7 hattricks in 1970-71 seasons. In 71-72 year also, he registered 28 goals.
- In 77-78 seasons, the team finished as runner up against Boston United.With the dismal of manager Ian McNeill, the team suffered a big blow in 80-81 seasons. Team faced many defeats during this struggling era.
- 85-86 proved as an improving chapter for team’s form. The fourth-place finishes of the 1985–86 and 1986–87 seasons proved to be the high points of WiganAthletic’s first stint in Division 3.
- The team mainly saw their rise after 1995. Team showed splendid improvement under the lead of their new owner – Dave Whelan.Wigan Athletic capitulate one of the biggest victory for their club in 2013 FA Cup Final. A match between Wigan Athletics and Manchester City, which was the first FA Cup final for the former team and 10th for the later one. But Wigan kicked off their opponent in this neck-to-neck match and blew everyone’s mind with a jerk! Also swiped off a whopping amount of £1.8 million as FA Cup winners.
Wigan Athletic Club is basically a professional club for football. It is based in Wigan (Manchester) in the United Kingdom. The teams are supposed to compete in the championship. The club was founded in the year 1932 and its members have been playing in DW stadium since the year 1999. The team of the club was elected to play in the Football League and it competed with the teams from the premium league. The team of Wigan Athletic Club won the FA cup in the matches from 2012 to 2013. They have won the Football League Trophy about two to three times and the League One and League Two matches as well. The first European campaign was embarked by the club during the Europa League of 2013 to 2014.
The players of Wigan Athletic Club are literally the stars who play the game excellently and win different tournaments. Brief information about some of the Stars of wigan athletic club has been givem below:
He was born in the year 1995, too young though. He was one of the representatives of the Under 18 team of the club and he did this job for two years. He also gave very impressive and outstanding performances Development Squad. He also has featured in 3 of the Latics’ (in the year 2015-16) against Partick Thistle, Altrincham and Southport. A great number of fans of Lactics helped Flores to get fame and start playing in the team of the club professionally. He has earned a great name due to his out-class abilities to play the game.
He is also a professional player and plays for the Wigan Club as a goalkeeper. In the year 2011, Adam made the senior international debut. He made seven appearances in the season of 2010-2011, forty one appearances in the season of 2012-2013, thirteen appearances in 2014-2015’s season and six appearances in the 2015-16 campaign. He is just twenty eight years old and he got capped almost twenty times by Hungary.
He made one hundred and fifty eight appearances at total during his stay at iPro Stadium for the seven years. Out of 158, 52 appearances came in the season of 2013-14. He professionally started his career by first joining the local team of Mansfield Town, but now he is a great player and is one of the stars of Wigan athletic club.
He plays as a midfielder. Initially he also started his career by joining a local team of club Morecambe in the year 2000. One of his biggest achievements is that he scored 6 goals in the first season he played in forty three appearances.
There are lots of other players of Wigan athletic club who play very well and have lots of fans in different countries of the world. They include the names of Max Power, Alex Gilbey, Will Grigg, Jordi Gomez, Shaun McDonald, Micheal Jacobs, Dan Burn, etc. The profiles of all these players can be checked in detail to know about their career and all.
“I did everything he did, but in HIGH HEELS”
Thisis a galvanizing line that can give you a trailer of power of a woman. The same power and energy can now be seen on the different sport fields as well. Their determination can give you goose bumps.
Wigan Athlete Club is having power-puff ladies in WiganLatics Ladies F.C.It was composed so that Women power of Wigan can also step on to the field. This Club was actually formed by Florence Mather. Her main purpose behind this was her daughter Michelle. She wanted her to play and be a part of competitive ladies football.
This daring darling daughter of Florence was actually born to live into this world. Her inclination towards football was something that can’t be furl into words. She started playing from the age of 7 in Wigan Junior Latics. But this was a mixed team, so after crossing her 10 she was asked to leave the team as per the league regulations from mixing of boys and girls. She started attending once in a week day coaching at a Soccer Club at Rose Bridge High School. Here this Iron-girl’s mom met Karen Platt . Here they decided to make a way for Wigan girls to reach their football destiny.
After month of long haul, the team “Wigan Girls” was established. Three teams were formed under this: – Under 12, Under 14 and Under 16 teams. Then to be a part of this football and league race, all the 3 teams under “Wigan Girls” were promoted to the maximum extent by doing mass advertisement and by spreading awareness door-to-door. Now they are counted among the triumphant teams Future looking even more bright and glorious for “Wigan Athletic Ladies”.
Wigan Athletic Ladies Football Club was formed in 1999. Presently it is taking all the girls and ladies under 9s till the open age. They are competing with Bolton Wanderers, Preston North End and Burnley to name just a few.
This Ladies Football club acted as the catalyst for change. In England, there are a vast number of coaches – including 35,000 qualified females, and volunteers who sacrificed or even still devoting their time and efforts to provide females of all ages with training and playing opportunities. These unsung heroes have been the spinal column of the women’s game for a number of years. Previously, girls had to join boys clubs in order to get the significant football coaching, due to lack of girls football clubs in England. But the efforts finally paid off and resulted in football becoming the largest female team sport in the country.
Below is the record that shouldn’t be missed by anyone: –
- Football is the No1 female team sport in England
- England’s world ranking is 6 in Female football team
- 96 Teams in The FA Women’s Premier League
- 927 Qualified female referees
- 8,000 Young football fans attended FA Girls’ Football Festivals and Fanzones
- 45,619 is the Record crowd at an England Women’s match
- 3m = Number of TV viewers for the 2014 FA Women’s Cup Final between Arsenal and Everton.