Martinez targets two major additions
By Paul Farrington
Updated Tuesday, 10th July 2012
Roberto Martinez will not be rushed into the summer transfer market and is happy to wait until the close of the window at the end of August if necessary.
But the Spaniard did give away that he is targetting two major additions and possibly one youngster to his present Latics squad.
With the Latics presently in Sweden on a team morale building trip Martinez took time to speak to the Wigan Evening Post about the transfer front.
He said: “We have a few options, but we need to make sure we get the right players in who will add to the already-great group of players we have.
“If that takes until the end of August, then so be it, because we need to make sure we are as strong as we can be at the start of September - not the start of pre-season.”
“We plan on making two major signings this summer, plus probably another younger player.
“We know exactly what we need, what type of player we need to improve the squad, but firstly I would like to see the existing individuals, and how they are.
“There are a few youngsters that have made the step up from the Development Squad into the first-team squad, and it’s important we assess them before we do anything else.”
He addied: “The most important target for the off-season was keeping together the nucleus of the squad that performed so well last season together, and so far we have managed to do that.
“Where we are now, we are very strong with the group of players we have, and we’re going to take our time over our next step.
“We’ll continue working hard with the group of players we have, while at the same time behind the scenes continuing to identify the targets we have."
One move in the pipe line is said to be Watford's 25 year old defender Adrian Mariappa with a fee of £2.5 million said to have been accepted by the Hornets.